Sunday, August 31, 2008

Guitar - 7 String Build - P3

The guitar is carved with nothing more than a 4 1/2" angle grinder, belt sander, and die grinder. This is a very sensitive procedure as one foul swoop with any of these tools can ruin the entire instrument! I don't like to use any 'guides' for the carving, instead testing the feel as I go along. 2 hours later:

pic

I wanted to do something neat with the string-thrus and figured a slight recess would match the bridge recess quite nicely. These pockets were done with a jig and router with a cove bit installed. The guide was angled so that the recesses actually appear as tear drops.

pic

After all of the carving is finished, it's time to get out the ol sanding block! After I've gotten the guitar up to 150g, I fill all open grains with McFaddens fillers (after raising the grain a few times!). I reduce the fillers so that they fill easier. You must be warned, however, that reducing a tinted filler too much will allow the pigment to seep into the wood, requiring heavier sanding to remove. The effect is exaggerated on darker fillers such as those for mahogany. After the entire body is filled, I resand back to 150 and raise the grain another 2-3 times and sand back out to 150g again. Time to stain (well, actally, 'dye')!

0 comments: